January 21, 2013
— Art, Carly Cushnie, CEO, color, Economy, entrepreneur, Fashion Group International, Fashion News, London, Michelle Obama, Milk Studios, Olivia Wilde, Politics, Reese Witherspoon, Religion, shoes, Trends, White House
Meet Carly Cushnie a savvy London born fashion designer along with her partner Michelle Ochs who are making a name for themselves in the fashion world. These two women have styled some America’s greatest names including the first lad Michelle Obama who can be seen sporting a Cushine/ Ochs origional. Its their unique since of style, and touch of elegance that sets these two apart, and they’re understanding of how a woman wants to look that has these designers on a rise.
By: Akika Parker
The designers Carly Cushnie and Michelle Ochs, known professionally as Cushnie et Ochs, have been critical darlings ever since starting their business in 2009, just a few years out of college. They have been prominently featured in WWD and Vogue, have won prestigious honors, like the Ecco Domani Foundation Award, and were one of 10 finalists for last year’s. (nytimes.com)
Click the link to read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/fashion/michelle-obama-wooing-the-first-dresser.html?pagewanted=all
The Cushnie et Ochs design duo are as gorgeous as any girls walking their runway and are hardly seen at an event wearing another’s designs.
But their lives weren’t—and still aren’t!—always that glamorous. The two met as juniors at Parsons, where they were both busy pulling all-nighters. And Cushnie and Ochs still find themselves donning their Snuggies (really!) and settling in for long nights of work.
It’s paid off. They’ve been nominated for awards from the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund and the Fashion Group International, count Reese Witherspoon and Olivia Wilde as fans of their sexy dresses, and received the endorsement of a lifetime when the first lady wore one of their numbers to the (televised) White House‘s Christmas event.
Cushnie et Ochs will show their Fall 2012 collection at Milk Studios on February 10, and Carly Cushnie took the time to chat with FashionEtc about the early days, the movie they’re currently obsessing over, and that big Michelle Obama moment.
Here are more designs by the duo
In an interview with “fashionetc.com” Cushnie talks Michelle Obamas and what she thinks about the first ladies style!
“I think it’s fantastic the way she, through what she wears, has been able to propel designers’ careers and really highlight American fashion. There are many great designers, and a lot of the big European designers get press in magazines, but she’s really highlighting American brands especially. She catapulted Jason Wu, and even J.Crew, which was a big brand already! I think her style is really strong and sophisticated.”
CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award. (thenewyorktimes.com)
- Cushnie et Ochs To Partner With Playboy For A Limited Edition Leather Bra (Ooo, Wee!) (styleblazer.com)
- Happy Birthday, Michelle Obama (gojane.com)
- Happy Birthday Michelle Obama: The First Lady’s Best Fashion Moments (news.stylecaster.com)
- Happy Birthday FLOTUS: MICHELLE OBAMA (curlsandtornleather.com)
- Michelle Obama’s Inauguration Style Predictions (theblush.com)
- Prediction: Michelle Obama Will Wear a Repeat Gown on Inauguration Day (fashionista.com)
- A Closeup of Michelle Obama’s New Look (abcnews.go.com)
- Wiz Khalifa, Deron Williams top Forbes’ ’30 Under 30′ list (thegrio.com)
- Designers Create Dream Inauguration Dresses for Michelle Obama (stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com)
- 15 Designers First Lady Michelle Obama Might Wear To The Inauguration (Tracy Reese, Michael Kors & More!) (styleblazer.com)